Wednesday, September 24, 2008

No One Understands

I came across an article in Monday's USA Today regarding the lack of empathy emitted from US doctors in patient-focused settings. The basic gist is that physicians responded to more existential questions from their patients concerning the nature of life, death, etc., with empathy only 10% of the time. While physicians were adept at diagnoses, prescription of medication and all other technical aspects of their job, their bedside manner seemed lacking. But so what? It's not like doctor's are in a service industry right?

I disagree. If we look at a line up of 100 docs and only 5 of them have the ability and tact to service the whole patient and not just the shells that are our bodies, my assumption is those 5 will receive the bulk of patients. With access and records and patient driven reviews becoming more and more important in how we choose care, the ability for a care provider to help us stay positive and look at the minutiae of life will rise on the list as the technical skills even out. And not only that, but the power of positive thinking is being shown more and more to affect patient outcome.

Look at cell phones. I know plenty of people who have switched providers simply because the service was horrible. Not the transmission of radio waves between towers but the, "I'm on the phone trying to figure out why I got charged $90 for SMS messaging last month service but I can't understand the person on the other end of the line and they don't seem to really give a shit about me," service.

To me, this is really no different than the doctor scenario. The question then becomes is it fair to ask doctors to also develop a skill set in general psychology along with a 7-year specialization in cardiothorasic surgery? Is it fair to ask that your cell phone carrier have great customer service? Or should they be relegated to providing excellent coverage only? With regards to mobiles and doctors, I don't know, but I bet those that don't won't be as successful in the long run.

No comments: