Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kodak Does Something New...Kind Of

Recently everyone at work has been all atwitter about Twitter. This has forced me to start using it as well. Whether that's a bad thing or a good thing only time will tell. But in the meantime it's at least interesting to follow some of the top dogs of the marketing industry who are using it. One is Gary Hayzlett of Kodak. And today, I saw that he posted this little link:

http://www.feistemail.com/

It's a new Kodak initiative that meshes photography (something they do) with communication (something they aim to do). Clearly, some designer or idea guy over there saw SomeECards.com and decided it would be a great idea if Kodak did something similar since they have (what I would imagine is) a buttload of old photography and nothing to do with it. I think it's timely and I'm glad to see Kodak doing something different. If they can open it up to user pictures the possibilities could be hilarious (not to mention more personal, something 4x6 pictures are all about).

My question is: Is this a good idea for their brand? I don't know the answer. What I do know is that Kodak is not associated with quality like it used to be. Maybe a brand extension powered by Kodak technology is in order...very similar to how they are positioning FesitEmail actually.

No comments: