Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Throwback

I was never one of those rich kids who had things like Mario Paint. I guess I came from the kind of family where if I wanted to paint I would get some paint and paint.

But I now regret that all (kind of). Turns out a plethora of skilled artists have been using the Mario Paint Composer program to compose contemporary and old songs. The selection is truly across the board with everything from Darude - "Sandstorm" to War - "Lowrider."

My choice to introduce you to it, Snoop - "Drop it Like It's Hot."

I think the idea behind this is really interesting. When most of us had access to Mario Paint, we didn't have the patience or ability to think of using it in ways like this. But with the proliferation of the slasher I'm good at everything culture we've all become accustomed to Garage Band, Final Cut Pro and Photoshop. Mario Paint was just a beta version of all of these things. Which begs the question, what else from our past will become cool in our present? Popsicle stick sculpture?

No comments: